What to do when you lose your appetite ?
Appetite is the physical and natural desire for food. Sometimes, it may happen that you no more have the desire to eat. Not that food repulses you, but you become insensitive to any kinds of food, even if you are hungry. In such a situation, you are suffering from loss of appetite.
Possible causes of loss of appetite
- Aging: it is related to psychological and physiological changes that occur when growing older and problems linked to age evolution (dementia, health problems,…). Sometimes, older people lose their appetite because they have decreased their activity rhythm and have less caloric needs;
- Anaemia: when you are suffering from anemia (low level of blood cells), you can also lose your appetite;
- Cancer: generally, people who suffer from cancer, especially those whom cancer is associated with digestive organs (pancreatic or stomach cancer) lose their taste;
- Diabete: appetite loss can occur because of the slow digestion of foods diabetic people eat. So, they do not eat as usual;
- Medication: there are kinds of medication which can lead to appetite loss such as sleeping pills, antibiotics, blood pressure medications, and painkillers;
- Pregnancy: pregnant ladies may experience nausea and loss of appetite precisely at the beginning.
Possible solutions to appetite loss
There is no fixed solution to appetite loss. But there are leads to overwhelm it regarding its cause with each individual. Doctors may prescribe medications that can help their patients to increase their appetite and reduce symptoms like nausea while they can promote talking therapies and some antidepressants where depression or anxiety are its causes. But, if a doctor finds that a specific medication causes loss of appetite, it is possible to change the medication or the dosage.
Also, people find domestic ways to solve their appetite loss such as: eating many small meals a day instead of eating three bigger ones. Smaller meals are then high in calories and proteins in order to make sure the body is getting the necessary nutrients and energy. Appetite loss can also be overcome with short walks.